Introduction to Strength of Materials
What is Mechanics?
Mechanics is nothing but the science of forces and motions.
What is Applied Mechanics?
Applied Mechanics is the study of applying the principles of mechanics to systems of practical interest in order:-
- to understand their behaviour.
- to develop rational rules for their design.
Principles of Mechanics
- Force(the cause)
- Motion(the effect)
Explanatory Video 1
Analysis of the Mechanical System
- Study of forces
- Study of motion and deformation
- Application of laws relating the forces to the motion and deformation
- It tends to alter the motion of the systems involved.
- It tends to deform the state of the systems involved.
- The magnitude of the force can be established in terms of a standardized experiment.
Method of Superposition
When two or more forces act simultaneously at one point, the effect is the same as if a single force equal to the vector sum of the individual forces were acting.
Explanatory Video 2
Point of Application of Force
When we are studying forces, the point of application of force must be known otherwise you will not be getting the same effect or the same response from the system.
- Vector cross product of displacement vector r and force vector F will give you a moment of force.
- This moment of force will be acting normal to the plane and that will basically follow the right-hand thumb rule.
*Source- Internet, Books, Self-Analysis