Uses Of Stones
- Stones form one of the most important building materials which have a very great contribution to Civil Engineering.
- Stones are also regarded as the principal materials for the foundation of Civil Engineering works.
- Stones have been used in the construction of great monuments like Taj Mahal, Pyramids Of Egypt, The Great Wall Of China, etc. since the prehistoric age.
- Its use as a building material depends upon the nature of the work, type of the structural element in which it is to be used and its quality, availability and transportation cost.
|Stone As A Building Material|
So, the main uses of stone as a building material are as follows:-
- In the construction of walls, dams, arches and abutments.
- In stone masonry in places where it is naturally available.
- As a roofing material in the form of slates.
- As ballast for railway tracks.
- As a coarse aggregate in cement concrete.
- As a thin slab for paving.
- In the construction of highways and runways, as a soling material.
- As a veneer for decorative front and interior of buildings.
- Limestone for the manufacture of cement, as a flux in blast furnace and in the construction of important buildings like temples, churches and mosques.
*Source- Internet, Books and Self-Analysis
Post a Comment